At Koremen, we aim to help clients get the home modifications done for their homes in order for them to age in place. Many do not want to live in a nursing home or retirement facility and staying home is their wish. With the help of Medicaid waivers, it's possible for those folks to modify they bathrooms, kitchens, entryways, hallways, etc. in order to accommodate their needs. All of these activities are designed to make their home accessible to them during their later years and to help prevent future falls. When older people fall, this often leads to them having to give up the home life they are so used to. If you are, or know of someone, that wishes to stay in their home and could use a modification to the bathroom, or a ramp to the entryway, call your local Area Agency on Aging.
Below are six facts* about older adult falls as put together by the CDC.
1. Thirty million older adults fall each year - resulting in about 30,000 deaths.
2. Each year, 3 million older adults are treated for a fall injury.
3. One out of every five falls causes a serious injury, such as broken bones or a head injury.
4. Each year at least 300,000 older people are hospitalized for hip fractures.
5. More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling – usually by falling sideways.
6. Women fall more often than men and account for three quarters of all hip fractures.
If you would like more information follow this link to the CDC for more help.
Keep on Your Feet – Preventing Older Adult Falls
*Sources for each fact can be found at the CDC page.